Friday, October 7, 2016

Day 45 - A Wall to Climb

7/10

Waking up at 7:00 was a luxurious thing and especially because I woke up in one of the rooms in the inn. Which is pretty awesome by the way. 

I got a very, very nice breakfast menu and a traditional lunchbox to go. I left at 9:00. The 40 km. to Oita was so easy that I made it in 1 hour and 10 minutes. I thought my legs were kind of tired from yesterday and I understood why. I must have climbed all the way from Fukuoka to be this high above sea level. It was downhill most of the way and I easily made 35 without trying. 

From Oita to Hyuga, today's goal, would be through mountains. Nothing but mountains. And I saw incredible scenery. Lakes with blue-green-ish water crawling between the giant mountains covered by tall pine trees. Up and down, (mostly up it feels), through tunnels, and then with great persistence I made it to Hyuga. 

I punctured 20 k before though, (guess which tire), luckily it was downhill and I went and bought a spare tube as soon as I could. 

Then I found a restaurant with traditional Japanese set menu dishes and second helpings of rice. And I ate a lot of rice, muhahahaha.

Now I'm looking for a place to sleep, I went a bit further to the south part of the city, but it isn't even 22:00 yet... 

Tomorrow I'll probably reach Sata Misaki. I hope. And no more head wind, please. It's really cramping my style. 

Distance: 160 km.
Time: 7.21 h
Condition: wishing for good weather tomorrow
Quote: if you get tired of biking you can always get a flat...

No comments:

Post a Comment