Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Day 19 - Yokohama in the Rain

13/9

My stay at the manga cafe was worth the money and time, but I met the rain as soon as I opened the door. My bike was parked on the other side of the road and with the rain falling on it it kind of showed me the next few days, or so it felt. I have looked at the weather forecast and it says rain the next 4 days. I might have to just bike through it. I have things to do and people to meet.

I went to a American styled restaurant called Jonathan's. It's basically the same as Gasto, just a different menu. I sat there for 2 hours and 30 minutes, but the rain only grew in intensity. I decided to go around the time the archive opened. That was my mission today. I arrived and stated my business, and besides looking at the quite normal exhibition of the opening of Japan to the western world nothing really caught my attention.

What I was after was hidden in the basement of the building. I went down and signed in as the receptionist demanded, I thought it was a lot of work to go through what looked just like a library, but determined to find the recordings of my ancestors I went on.

After having spent almost 4 hours in the building, where 2-3 of them were used on looking through various books, I found the names. I took a copy of some of it and I can't wait to return and show it to my family.

I also looked at some of the first newspapers, both foreign and Japanese. And some satirical installments of a British and a French journalist. The drawings were both clever and funny and it was a really interesting experience to stand with the materials that I have read about and used in my assignments.

After that I made my way through the rain to Takuya's place and went to the mall and relaxed. I ate a delicious dinner and took a shower and now I'm about ready to sleep. I can't wait for tomorrow and BBQ buffet!

Distance: 22 km.
Time: 1.27 hour
Condition: Happy, but hoping that it won't rain for days..
Quote: good thing I always save a smile for when the rain comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment