Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Day 33 & 34 - Moving towards Kyushu, Feeling Close to Home!

27/9

My sleeping place was decided on a wimp, I want to the peace park again and slept there on a bench in front of the dome that is famous for having survived the nuclear bombing. I woke up early and I had a very long day in front of me, some 200 km and it wasn't flat at all..

But for the first time during the trip I felt like I was finally moving towards the end. And although Fukuoka isn't the last stop I was stoked to be able to see Ayana in a few days. According to my original plan the trip I was to undertake was over two days, but I was determined to reach Shimonoseki, the last city on Honshu before Kyushu.

The first 40 km were so easy, I made great speed, and I'm sure I got to Iwakuni before the cars because there was so much traffic, but I easily reached 40 km/t and it was very different from the last couple of days.

The route I took for the next 90 km was mountains and not much fun at all. I decided to change the route, adding 10 km, but I like to believe it was a better choice, I covered it pretty quickly either way.

But the sun decided to come back and I think it was 33 degrees at some point. I was not really used to it with all the rain I had been going through and it was difficult, but the idea of a long break in Fukuoka kept me from taking too many breaks. Some 16 hours after departing I got to see the bridge that would lead me to Kyushu. Or rather I would have to take the tunnel under the strait, but same thing for me really.

Ayana had told me about the rain that was falling in Fukuoka, and it sounded terrible, but it wouldn't reach me until some hours so I hurried all I could to the bridge. I could see the thunder from afar and the night scenery was so beautiful! Like a scene taking from the last boss battle in a game! I wasn't looking forward to the rain though. I had two choices, just continue through the rain, or stop and rest until the thunderstorm moved on. I chose the last. The next day would be close to 100 km and I needed the rest. I slept on a bench in the building where the tunnel was, and the rain already started once I got to the other side.

Distance: 213 km.
Time: 10.15 hours

28/9

Waking up at 3 am I packed and then went on towards Fukuoka and of course to Ayana!! Finally the day where I would see her again, 8 months where the last one has been especially tough!!

I went early because the rain wasn't as strong, and thankfully I made it without too many wrong turns and I didn't get a flat!!! Amazing, haha. After 4.30 long hours I got to the station and got the address and then I went home to Ayana. I can't describe how happy I am to see her. It is going to suck so bad when I have to leave here on the 5th, but I need to finish what I started.

My plan says I need to go 3800 km or something, but I can already see that it will be way more. Despite the fact that I didn't go to Nikko and that I will skip Nagasaki too. I most have done a lot detours and sightseeing, haha. But I still have to go to the most southern part, Cape Sata. And I also have to go to APU, a university on the way there where I know someone. And not to forget, I'll swing by Ayana's dad's place and apologize for stealing his daughter. Oh boy!

The last couple of days made me realize how far I have come. Not just on this journey, but in life too. I'm not sure I consider myself a grown up, I can't say I believe in growing up, we just get wiser, but I'm ready to start a new part of my life after this trip. Maybe that's growing up, maybe it's just what happens, but I'm still looking forward to it with the eager you see in kids and young minded alike.

The next week will be spent visiting friends, going places and preparing for the next part of the trip. And I need to find the courage to battle the mountains of Kyushu... I'll make it happen!

Distance: 93 km.
Total distance: 3433 km
Time: 4:30 hours
Condition: feeling pretty damn good!
Quote: if home is where the heart is then I have been going in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment