Saturday, September 3, 2016

Day 9 - Akita to Sakata, go now!

3/9


Laziness was the reason why I didn't leave Akita early on and so after sightseeing, (there wasn't that much to see anyway), I went on to the nearest park and slept for an hour. The sun was ridiculous.

I also went down to several beach areas, and they are really interesting. 50 meters or so from the water you have a row of houses that have small bars inside and you can sit and have a drink of tea and look at the water, which is really nice, but I didn't go inside, I felt kind of out of place with all my cycle clothes on.

I went on to one of the places I like to go to a lot during this trip. It's called Michi no Eki, or "station by the road". Free WiFi and it's cooled down. The purpose, or at least one of them, is for people to sell the local whatever to the people who are not locals. So mostly fruit and vegetables, souvenirs and local dishes. But I spent the time getting some udon and a really good nap on a bench.

I became pressed for time, but the sun's strength was reduced enough for me to venture on. And I did so until way after it became dark. On the way I thought about my trip, why I'm doing it, why my bike feels so heavy and what I can do to make it lighter. So of course there are some things that I don't use, but I don't want to just throw them out either so I have to come up with some kind of plan to get it with me to at least Fukuoka.

But I think the problem might not just be that I'm going up hill physically. Sometimes it's mentally as well. The pain, sweat and roasting sun. The nighttime where it feels like I'm the only one on the road. The light from the cars (seriously sometimes it's like they want to see who is riding the bike and then don't switch off the long light, really annoying). Maybe after 8 days and the last couple here being really boring has had it's effect on me in a way I didn't expect. I hope that it will turn soon and I'm so happy that I have people wishing me good luck and keeping my spirits high. 

What is fun about the trip is when the day is over and I think to myself: "I did a good job today." And I look on the map and see the distance I have made. Also meeting all sorts of people and enjoying the things I get to do, is a big part of it, but sometimes seeing a mountain or a waterfall can be just like the last one. So I hope that when I get closer to Tokyo and people I know that it will change!

I have to figure out what to do with the weight of the bike, tomorrow will be about making it lighter so I can reach Nagano without having to pull it all the way. I did that on the beach today. Damn.. I don't even know why it is so heavy, there is almost nothing in the bags, but I guess it adds up.

Tonight I'm staying at a new manga cafe and I think I'm getting close to having a membership for all the most common ones now. Hope to get some discount soon, haha!

Oh, and the movie Okuribito, or Depatures was filmed here in the area so I might try to locate some spots from the movie. I think I got one already! 

Distance: 120 km
Time: 7 hours
Condition: Feeling heavy
Quote:What would you want to carry through life?

No comments:

Post a Comment